Followers

Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Working girl

The time has come the walrus said.......for this girl to get a job. After a year of staying at home taking care of my angel, our money situation has dearly suffered. Being DINKS (dual income, no kids) for a few years made our spending habits not so responsible. I'm proud of being able to do it for at least a year. I was a daycare child until I was old enough to stay home on my own and always vowed I'd never do that to my child. I can strongly say I am no good at coupon cutting and generic buying so I have decided a few days of working a week will make for a happier household. For the last couple of months I've been scouring the classifieds hoping for some glimpse of a decent job like my last. For the past 8 years I've worked in Call centers doing a myriad of jobs. For 4 years I've been doing Workforce Management, a field that's hard to describe the actual job itself. I previously worked for Acer Computers before giving birth and going on hiatus. The job itself is great, the 46 mi drive however, was not. After searching and searching the papers I finally realized the job market here......SUCKS. A few weeks ago I was driving down the road on the way home and noticed a billboard for an insurance agency. Deciding to give fate a chance, I called to see if they might potentially have any openings. The owner seemed interested in my Call center background and had me come in to fill out and application and drop off my resume. After a week of no word, I got a call yesterday. They're thinking of hiring me to train their agents on phone ettiquette and scripting. This company is about 5 miles away- Nice! The same day I got a call from my old boss who was returning my call. My old job isn't available but they could hire me to do the job that I managed before. I feel terrible about being excited to work but the prospect of buying a bra or shirt that's NOT from Walmart on the clearance rack is mighty tempting. Now it comes down to the money game. Will the money from Acer be worth the 90 mi drive 3 days a week? We shall see!

1 comment:

Ashley said...

Way to go mama! Sounds like you are going to have a few to choose from which is awesome! I am attempting to get back to work too! Tuesday I have a job interview about doing developmental play therapy again with the best therapy agency here in town. I am only wanting to do part time and hope it is what they are looking for. Here's to hoping we both get exactly what we are looking for!
Oh yeah, and I cannot believe our girls are about to turn one! Seems like we were both just preggo a short time ago. Time flies doesn't it?! Hope you are doing well! I enjoy reading your blog!
Talk to you later,
happymommy526-Ashley