Followers

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Backyardigans

Sunday morning Scott actually woke up with Ry and me. Our lawn hadn't been mowed in about 2 weeks and looked terrible. We decided to do some major yard work. Scott mowed and I attempted the weed wacker. Let me tell you, if there were tickets being sold to me using it, it would have been sold out. I had an insane fear of the gas-powered machine and treated it like it was covered in prickly spikes. Once Scott gave me a lesson on starting it, the fear subsided a bit. It's still pretty difficult to start and stop it while holding it in one hand but I think I did a very nice job! After that I was motivated to do quite a lot!
For some unknown reason, our backyard was full of random rocks! I was tired of stepping on them while walking across and decided to get them all up. Boy did I underestimate that job. After almost an hour and a half of picking up stones I had already filled a huge bucket. Covered in sweat and downright parched, I called it off for a bit. Look at this bucket!




It was a balmy 100 degrees (104 with the heat index) by 5 pm when we decided to keep going. I took one look at the flower bed in the backyard and realized it needed my dire attention. We moved in here the end of February this year. The previous tenants were trash. The backyard was filled with broken lawnmowers, old bike parts, trash, bits of brick, and plenty of dog poop. The rental company cleaned up most of it but small things and the presence of all of it left a toll on the yard. Scott put the flower bed in and lined it with bricks once we moved in. It looked fabulous for quite some time, until the heat of summer hit. As I was looking at it I realized it hadn't been weeded or deadheaded AT ALL since we put it in! I took to deadheading while Scott decided to put in a vegetable garden. LOL, they don't sell seeds for vegetable anymore but we have a lovely patch of dirt now! Anyways, here's a picture of the flower bed, after being deadheaded. Hopefully it'll make a comeback as it looks rather sad right now.





No comments: