Followers

Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Mod Podged Light Plates




After painting Rylee's room Pepto Pink, I took a look around her room to see if I could improve anything before I finished. The blaring off-white light switch covers called out to me for a change. Instead of painting them, I decided to try my hand at something else. Using Mod Podge and Scrapbook paper, I covered the ugly off-white plates and...voila, perfectly girly and fun Mod Podged Light Plates!

Here are the steps on how to do it.

First, start out with a normal, boring plate. Put it face down on the front of your scrapbook paper. Using a pen or pencil, trace the shape of the plate on the paper. Including inside the little rectangles for the switches.


Next, using an exacto knife or pointy scissors, cut out all the squares.


Use a plain paintbrush and apply a thin coat of Mod Podge to the front of the faceplate. Wait 1 to 2 minutes for it to dry tacky. Next, paint another thin coat on the back of the cut scrapbook paper. The two coates enable the adhesive to work and help to get it to stick better. As soon as you place it on the plate start smoothing with your fingers to eliminate bubbles. The first try of this I didn't add that first coat to the plate and I had bubbles EVERYWHERE! Smooth, smooth and smooth some more. If you need to, use a flat backed object (I used a baby spoon) to smooth any errant bubbles.

Once this has dried (about 5-10 minutes depending on how thick you applied the Mod Podge) you can start finished up the sides. You can use an emery board or fine grit sandpaper to sand the edges to fit perfectly. I actually cut mine a little bigger to be able to fold down on the curve of the plate. Once you're done sanding the edges make sure all shavings are off the plate.

Next, apply a thin coat of Mod Podge to the front of the plate. It'll look really streaky, that's ok. The trick with Mod Podge is kind of like Eyeshadow. You can always add more. Once that layer dries, do another, and another if needed. Make sure you catch all the corners and edges to stay put. Allow it to dry completely.

Finally, put it up to the holes in the wall made previously. You can see where they are through the paper. Use your screwdriver to put the screws in and that's it! A completely covered Light plate! I ended up cutting mind wonky and will probably do this one again but for now, I doubt my daughter will notice ;)

No comments: